Our mindset impacts how we do things and how we can achieve our goals. Having a growth mindset influences our desire to work hard, overcome obstacles, and learn new things. It’s all about living up to our potential. Here are some tips for developing a growth mindset:
- Create an action plan. Start by focusing on one goal and list the steps you need to take to accomplish that goal. Then identify the actions you need to take for each step. Set an attainable deadline and post your Plan somewhere you will see daily, such as a large calendar or dry erase board. Review your goals at the end of the month to determine if you are on track or if any adjustments need to be made.
- Positive self-talk. Positive affirmations can relax you and control stress. Instead of saying, “I can’t do this,” try, “I can’t do this YET” or, “I can handle this by taking one step at a time.” Doing so can help break down a seemingly overwhelming task into manageable steps.
- Utilize your support circle. Join a Community to talk through any challenges you are having on your health journey. Make use of your social network, or get in touch with a friend to seek advice.
- Embrace the journey. Significant change usually does not happen overnight, so it’s essential to be realistic about the timeline for reaching your goals. Implementing new, healthy habits in the learning process will make them more likely to stick over time.
- Reflect on your learning. Journaling is a great way to reflect on lessons you’ve learned, keep track of healthy tips, and document your physical and emotional reactions on your health journey. In addition, it can help identify what is working well or if there are any changes that you can make.
Ask me, Coach Maria, for other tips for developing a growth mindset on your journey to creating optimal health in your life.